Confidentiality is Critical to All Our Clients
Changes to the Privacy Notice
Birch Grove Garden Centre Limited may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. Please check this page occasionally to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy was last updated on the 4th December, 2018.
Your duty to inform us
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and up to date. Please inform us if your personal data changes during the time your relationship with us exists.
Links to Other Websites
Our website (www.birchgrovegc.co.uk) may contain links to third party websites. However, once you have used these links to leave our site you should note that we do not have any control over another website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites, and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. When you leave our website we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
The Data We Collect About You
Personal data, or personal information means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We may collect, use and store different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together as set out below
● Identity Data includes name and/or job title, username or other identifier.
● Contact Data includes invoicing and delivery addresses, email and telephone numbers
● Demographic Data includes postcode, preferences and interests
● Financial Data includes bank account and other payment method details provided by you to our credit control department for settling accounts.
● Transaction Data may be held by our credit control department to outline your payment history, average monthly/annual spend and trends
● Technical Data includes IP addresses, browers type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
● Other Data relevant to Birch Grove Garden Centre Limited customer surveys and/or offers
Special Categories of Personal Data about you are not collected by us. This covers details such as race or ethnicity, religious beliefs or political opinions, sexual orientation, health, genetic or biometric data. Similarly we do not collect any information about criminal convictions or offences.
If you fail to provide personal data where we need to collect it by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you when requested, this may result in us being unable to undertake the contract we have, or are trying to enter into with you such as providing goods or services. If this is the case we may have to cancel the product or service you require from us but will notify you in this eventuality.
How we collect your Personal Data
There are various ways we collect data from and about you including
● Direct intercommunications: By means of giving us your Identity, Contact and Financial Data by completing forms or corresponding with us by post, phone, email, face to face etc. This includes personal data you provide when you:
● Third parties or publicly available sources: Personal data about you may be obtained from various third parties and public sources such as Technical Data from analytics providers such as Google who are based outside the EU and Financial Data from credit checking bureaus or Companies House. Similarly Identity and Contact Data can be obtained from publicly available sources such as Companies House and the Electoral Register based within the EU.
What we do with the Information we gather
We require this information in order to understand your needs and provide you with a better service. In particular for the following reasons:
● Internal record keeping
● To improve our products and services
● Periodically we may send out promotional emails or SMS text messages about new products, special offers, competitions or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address or mobile telephone number which you have provided.
● From time to time we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or post. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
Your Personal Data and how we use it
Your personal data is used only when the law allows it. The most common circumstances for using your Personal Data are;
● Where we need to undertake the contract we have, or are about to enter into with you.
● As is necessary for our legitimate business interests and your interests and fundamental rights do not supersede such interests.
● Where it is necessary for us to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Please see the table below where we have set out examples of how we plan to use your data, the type of data collected for each purpose or activity and the legitimate interest for each. In some cases there may be more than one lawful ground for using the data
|Purpose/Activity||Type of Data||Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest|
|To register you as a new customer or potential new customer||(a) Identity
|To fulfill a contract with you Negotiation, Communications and Marketing|
|To process and deliver your order including:
(a) Managing payments, fees and charges
(b) Collecting and recovering money owed to us
|(a) To fulfill a contract with you
(b) Necessary for our legitimate interest (to recover debts due to us)
|To administer our relationship with you which includes:
(b) Inviting you to leave a review or take a survey
(d) Marketing and Communications
|(a) To fulfill a contract with you
(b) To comply with a legal requirement
(c) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to keep our records up to date and analyse how customers use our products and services)
|To enable you to enter in a Competition or Prize Draw||(a) Identity
|(a) To fulfill a contract with you|
|To protect and administer our business and website (including data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data and troubleshooting)||(a) Identity
|(a) Necessary for our legitimate interests (for running our business, provision of IT and administration services, network security in order to prevent fraud)
(b) To comply with a legal requirement
|To use data analytics to improve our website as well as our products/services, marketing, customer relationships and experiences||(a) Technical
|Necessary for our legitimate interests (to define types of customers for our products and services, to keep our website up to date and relevant, to inform our marketing strategy and evolve our business|
A Cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the Cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customers needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall cookies help us provide you with a better website by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. However this may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Controlling your Personal Information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
● Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
● If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes you may change your mind at any time by writing to us directly or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting but only if you choose to allow this.
You may request details of personal information we hold about you at any time. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to Data Controller, Birch Grove Garden Centre Ltd, Surfleet Road, Pinchbeck, Spalding, Lincs PE11 3XY
If you believe that any information we are holding about you is incorrect or incomplete please write to us directly or email us as soon as possible at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Marketing information may be sent out by us, with your consent, if you have requested information, purchased goods or services, supplied your details when entering a competition or registered for a promotion, and in each case have not opted out of receiving that marketing information.
You may opt out at any time by contacting us in writing or using the unsubscribe button or preference form on our marketing emails
Third Party Marketing
We will not share your data with any other company for marketing purposes
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by contacting us in writing at the address given earlier in this Policy
Where you opt out of receiving these marketing messages this will not apply to personal data provided to us as a result of us supplying products or services, quality control or product/service experience.
When you opt out we will still securely hold your data to ensure that you are not contacted again in error
Change of Purpose
Your data will only be used for the purposes for which we collected it unless we consider it reasonable to use it for another cause.
If we need to use your personal data for an unrelated purpose we will inform you and explain the legal basis for doing so.
We may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules where this is permitted or required by law.
Disclosure of your Personal Data
We may have to share your personal data with external third parties including, but non exhaustively, our MIS systems providers, email service provider, legal representatives, accountants and auditors
It is a requirement by us of all third parties that they respect the security of your personal data and use it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes to conform to our instructions.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
We will keep your personal data for the duration of the business relationship we have with you.
We have to keep basic information about our customers for at least six years after they no longer have a relationship with us by law. This is for tax purposes and the information includes Contact, Identity, Transaction and Financial data.
In certain circumstances you can ask us to delete your data – please refer to Erasure Request section.
Your Legal Rights
You have various rights under data protection laws with regard to your personal data under certain circumstances. The rights are
● To request access to your personal data
● To request correction to your personal data
● To request erasure of your personal data
● To object to the processing of your personal data
● To request restriction of the processing of your personal data
● To request the transfer of your personal data
● The right to withdraw consent
If you wish to implement any of these rights please contact us using the details given earlier in this policy
Information we may need from you
For security purposes we may need to ask for specific information from you in order to confirm your identity in order to exercise any of your legal rights. This measure is taken to ensure that your personal data is not disclosed to a person not entitled to receive it.